Thursday, January 8, 2009

and Why...



Asking myself why I decided to embark upon the one-ton backyard garden food challenge is like asking the old 'Why did the chicken cross the road?" question.

I like challenges.

Several years ago, when my daughter made the fatal mistake of standing in front of a full refrigerator with the door wide opened claiming "there's nothing to eat!" I told her that I bet we had six months' worth of food in the house and then challenged her to see who could go the longest without having to go to the grocery store for food. We managed to live off the stores in the house for over six weeks. We were both shocked at how much food we really did have and how fun it was to make do with what we had on hand.

I can't help but wonder, though, how much of this challenge is about creating a feeling of empowerment during this prolonged period of economic uncertainty. I'd like to know that if things really got bad in this neck-o-the-woods that I could rely on myself to feed my family, just like may great-grandparents did 100 years ago.

The professor of my History and Culture of Online Learning Communities class at Cal State East Bay forwarded me this interesting link when she learned that I've embarked upon this one-ton food challenge:

http://www.energyfarms.net/node/1588

It's a haunting tale but one that I wanted to hear and learn from. Check it out and see if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment